With the way Rachel McAdams (Allie) and Ryan Gosling (Noah) were so into each other in the movie they were explosive, you would actually think it’d translate in real life. But alas, it’s not meant to be. It’s a known fact that Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling didn’t have that much of a chemistry off-screen, so much so that they’d constantly bicker and they were not getting along while filming The Notebook.
It’s been more than a decade since Allie and Noah’s love story in The Notebook happened, but hey, this movie never gets old. Here are some fascinating facts about Rachel McAdams from this well-loved fairy tale-ish romance flick.
- Rachel McAdams was up for some tough competition for the Allie part when actresses like Jessica Biel, Reese Witherspoon, Ashley Judd, and Britney Spears auditioned for it. All in all, she beat nine other actresses who auditioned and eventually played Allie.
2. Rachel had so little time to prepare for her audition as she received The Notebook script the night before the audition day while attending the premiere for The Hot Chick, in which she plays mean girl Jessica.
3. The scene used for Rachel’s audition was when Allie and Noah had an argument after the former returned from a morning drive with her mother.
4. Even though Rachel and Ryan didn’t get along quite well during filming The Notebook, they managed to pull off some of the best kisses of all time, earning them numerous Best Kiss Awards in subsequent years.
5. Rachel equally prepared for her Allie role just as Ryan Gosling’s did. She spent time in Charleston, took classes for etiquette and ballet, plus she also had a dialect coach to perfect the southern accent, since she is a Canadian.
6. Although there were no mention of a piano playing Allie, director Nick deemed it appropriate for wealthy ladies during the 1940s, and so Rachel had to memorize Chopin’s Prelude in E minor Opus 28 #4.
7. In an interview, Ryan Gosling stated that The Notebook is ‘really Rachel’s movie… it’s a car she’s driving.’ Rachel fit the role perfectly, she came in there and just blew everybody away!
Even director Nick Cassavetes had high praises for Rachel McAdams at the time she was auditioning for the movie. Rachel breathe life into Allie and Allie perfectly fits Rachel!