THR is reporting that Rachel dropped out of her upcoming movie “Passengers“. The US distribution company TWC also pulled out. Rachel was expected to start filming in April in Berlin, Germany.
Keanu Reeves’ space romance Passengers won’t hit theaters on April 3, 2015 after all. The independent project is also in the process of finding a new female lead after Rachel McAdams dropped out.
The Weinstein Co. acquired U.S. rights to the movie in one of the biggest deals of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival but pulled Passengers from its release calendar in recent days. Wayfare Films is financing and producing the movie alongside Company Films, the production shingle run by Reeves and Stephen Hamel.
With McAdams’ departure and the resulting production delay, The Weinstein Co. withdrew from the project, according to sources. CAA, which packaged the film and is handling domestic rights, will now shop Passengers to other U.S. distributors. Exclusive Media is representing international rights.
Insiders say Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire director Brian Kirk was set to start shooting Passengers in Germany on April 7, but the start date has been pushed back by at least several weeks, if not more.
You may have noticed there have been rumors about a possible “Mean Girls” reunion. The movie will celebrate it’s 10 year anniversary in a few weeks on April 30, 2014 (On a Wednesday!) and there has been talk about a possible reunion. Here are some facts:
• Earlier this month Lindsay revealed, while making an appearance on Jimmy Fallon, that she spoke to Tina Fey and Fey mentioned “maybe doing some sort of reunion” and that she was “was talking to Lorne [Michaels] about it”. Michaels is the producer of “Mean Girls“. In February Lindsay Lohan (Cady), Daniel Franzese (Damian) and Rajiv Surendra (Kevin G) already had a mini reunion which they shared on instagram.
• After Lindsay’s Jimmy Fallon appearance TMZ published a follow up story in which they (reportedly) confirmed that the reunion is happening and they also have a list of names who signed on to the reunion:
Sources close to Tina tell us, several prominent cast members are already on board — Amy Poehler (Mrs. George), Jonathan Bennett (dreamy Aaron), Rajiv Surendra (Math Enthusiast / Bad-Ass MC), and Daniel Franzese (Too Gay to Function).
• Tina Fey, who wrote the screenplay and is playing Ms. Norbury, is currently promoting her latest movie and she talked to various media outlets about a possible reunion. She told Yahoo! during a junket interview the following and also added it will be a (reunion) party “at best”:
“I saw Lindsay at the first episode of ‘The Tonight Show,’ and I was just saying to her backstage, ‘Oh, I think someone’s going to call us because people have been calling, people have been trying to organize some kind of televised reunion because it’s the 10th anniversary of the movie,'” Fey told “The Insider With Yahoo,” before quickly adding, “but it’s not like another movie.”
• Fey also talked to Access Hollywood about the possible reunion and mentioned that they might do a panel:
“Yeah, I saw her at the first episode of the ‘Tonight Show.’ We did that bit with Jimmy, and I said to her, ‘Oh, I think someone may call us about doing some kind of reunion because next month is the tenth anniversary of the movie.’ And so really… if everyone’s around we might try to do some kind of like panel discussion,” Tina told Access Hollywood at the junket for her new film, “Muppets Most Wanted.” “But it’s not like — it’s not another movie. At most it would be like a panel discussion with a plate of hot wings.
“No, it’s definitely not a movie,” Tina added. “It’s just the anniversary is coming up, so everybody get your pink shirts. It’s been 10 years. You can tell when you look at me. It’s been 10 years.”
• This is not really reunion related but Vulture published an interesting interview earlier this year with director Mark Waters about the movie. He discusses some fun facts and reveals Rachel was originally up for the part of Cady.
So to sum up: It’s likely there will be a “Mean Girls” reunion. It’s not going to be a sequel movie but it looks like they are organizing a party/panel which will possibly be televised. Rachel is expected to start filming “Passengers” next month in Berlin, Germany so we are not sure if she is able to attend the reunion.